SEO AgencyTake advantage of the first traffic acquisition lever by entrusting your SEO to a digital agency experienced in SEO.
Grow your business quickly with paid search (SEA).+150%
- Social Ads
Social adsOptimize your social media advertising campaigns to improve your performance.TikTok ads
Go viral with your ads on TikTok
The agencyKeyweo was born from the desire to create an agency that meets the principles of transparency, trust, experience and performance.
Definition: What is PageRank?
PageRank, also called PR, is a grade from 0 to 10 concerning the quality of a site, given by Google according to criteria specific to the search engine. This popularity index is updated from time to time, but Google never communicates on it, which makes it difficult to obtain an excellent rating. However, we know that PageRank is generally based on the quantity and quality of links received by a page, and allows Google to refine its search results.
In addition, it is impossible to know the exact rating assigned by Google to a website. In the past, Google had set up a tool bar which made it possible to get an idea of the value of this PageRank. However, in 2013, Google stopped updating it, before completely abandoning it in 2016.
How is the PageRank of a site calculated?
Unofficially, the criteria on which Google uses to evaluate the PageRank of a site would be the following:
- The number of external links pointing to a site
- The age of the domain name
- The anchors used
- Site traffic
However, no document officially describes the criteria used by Google. Thus, nothing guarantees the accuracy of the criteria listed above, which stems from simple assumptions by SEOs.
The main principles of PageRank
PageRank is a metric that is transmitted from one site to another through the links made between them. It is from this great principle of PR that all the others flow:
- Any external link received by your site is one more vote in its favour
- The more the page from which this external link comes has outgoing backlinks, the more this vote received is diluted
- The more your page receives external links, the more its popularity increases, and therefore its PageRank
- The higher the PageRank of the sites from which you receive a link, the more beneficial its impact will be for your own PageRank.
- The higher your PageRank, the better you will rank in the SERP.
What is the interest of PageRank in SEO?
A number of criteria are taken into account in the ranking of websites in the SERP. This PageRank is one of these criteria and is even one of the main ones. It is therefore necessary to obtain the best possible score if you want to position yourself in the first search results.
However, it is important to qualify their importance by keeping in mind that these criteria influencing the positioning of your website in the SERP are 200 in number. So, even though PageRank is important, it alone will not be enough to place you in the first results.
How to improve your PageRank?
To increase your PageRank, you should follow a good netlinking strategy, and keep these principles in mind:
- Obtain many external links pointing to your different pages
- Getting those many links on high PageRank sites
- Ensure that there are not too many other external links on the pages where you got backlinks pointing to your site
- Obtain external links on sites with themes close to yours, in order to maintain a certain consistency in the eyes of Google
- Be careful that these external links are not nofollow links, otherwise you will not receive the PageRank of the sites from which they come
The most popular definitions
Boost your Visibility
Do not hesitate to contact us for a free personalised quote